Saturday, February 10, 2007

Where do I start

I guess I will start of saying that we are all doing pretty well here in Fort St John. Better now that we are feeling better. On Monday evening I started feeling not so great. I thought it was something that I ate. But then after Katie was dropped off on Tuesday morning the fun started. John started his Air Brakes Course that day so I was on my own. Thank goodness that the girls played really well, and after John got home at 5 I was off to bed. Then later that evening it hit John pretty hard. All night puking, the runs, and aches and pains. He had to stay home from his Air Brakes Course, and ofcourse he got a call for work that morning. We were both in no shape to take care of our kids, but with thanks to Jen we were able to get through the day.

By the next day we were some what better and so far the kids have not gotton sick yet. (knock on wood) It sure is a good thing we were better cause Fort St John is hosting the Northern BC Games this weekend, and we have 2 billets staying at our place. Brittney and Laine are Basketbal players from Vander Hoof. Our girls have been so excited to have them stay with us. We watched their games and cheered them on, they got 3rd place. It sure has been interesting having these girls stay with us. I am so happy that they are good girls, you just never know who will come and stay with you when you sign up for billeting. Tomorrow they are on their way home, after spending the whole morning with us. It sure has been interesting to watch the different sports going on. Vayda had yesterday off so we could watch the sports going on. Their favourites are Skating and Gymnastics. They did really well sitting through a whole entire Basketball game yesterday.

Vayda and Tessa are doing really good. They are both still enjoying gymnastics and skating. I can't believe how much they have learned already. They got to watch their skating coachs' skate today in the Winter Games which was really neat. Vayda is doing really well in school. Her favourite thing to do is reading. She is getting so good at it. Yesterday she read a whole novel by herself in her room on her bunkbed. Math on the other hand is a little harder for her, we are trying to do a lot of it at home, which is making a bit of a difference. She also has lossed another tooth, and two more loose ones on the top as well.

Tessa is her cute little self. Her hair is long enough to put it in a pony again, which she seems to like. She loves to sing along with the Karaoke or in the shower. She is actually pretty good with her little accent.

John and I are doing well. We are very frustrated living here in Fort St John though. Work has been very slow, since apparantly the Oil companies cut back on the drilling (atleast that is what everyone is saying). John mostly has been working for one company and apparantly not even all of the regulars have been working either. John is mostly a structural welder, he hasn't really been giving the opportunity to do pipe yet, which is very frustrading for him. Cause how do you learn if you don't get a chance. So every morning he goes aroung and checks to see if there is work, and comes home dissapointed and frustrated. I don't know how he can even still get up in the morning and make his rounds, cause I would have given up weeks ago. I have so much respect for him, and feel so bad for him. John is a great and talented welder, which is what the dispatcher says at his work, but they are just lacking work. We just can't stand this life style though, not knowing if you are going to work, and when you are going to get work. Part of it also is who you know.

So we are trying to figure stuff out here. Don't know what is happening yet, or where we are going, or if we are going! But one thing is for sure, I am so proud of my husband. He is so smart, strong and he is the best dad and the greatest husband. We have spend so much good quality time together over the past few weeks. We will figure out what we are supposed to be doing and where we are supposed to be going. I just want to know now, and I know that is not how it works in this world. I don't want any one feeling sorry for us, cause we have two beautiful girls and a wonderful marriage. We just had so many hopes for coming up here and they are not working out how we planned, but then again we don't get to make our plan. I don't consider moving up here a mistake by any means, it just is another adventure in our life. We have done some things up here that we never would have experienced other wise.

Again I am not saying we are moving but we are in the middle of figuring things out, or atleast attempting to. We are in need of some happy thoughts, you don't have to leave a comment, but just think a happy thought for us. Thanks so much for reading. I think this is the first time I am actually just typing on and on, so I hope I didn't bore anyone.

I am currently reading "Don't sweat the small stuff, it is all small stuff". Kind of puts thing into perspective. These are some quotes from the book.

"Surrender to the fact that life isn't fair. One of the mistakes many of us make is that we feel sorry for ourselves, or for others, thinking that life should be fair, or that someday it will be. It's not and it won't. When we make this mistake we tend to spend a lot of time wallowing and/or complaining about what's wrong with life. We commiserate with others, discussing the injustices of life. 'It's not fair', we complain, not realizing that, perhaps, it was never intented to be."

"The fact that life isn't fair doesn't mean we shouldn't do everything in our power to improve our own lives or the world as a whole. To the contrary, it suggests that we should. When we don't recognize or admit that life isn't fair, we tend to feel pity for others and for ourselves. Pity, of course, is a selfdefeating emotion that does nothing for anyone, except to make everyone fell worse that they already do. When we do recognize that life isn't fair, however, we feel compassion for others and for ourselves. And compassion is a heartfelt emotion that delivers loving-kindness to everyone it touches."

My goal is to post some more quotes over the next little while. This book really makes you think. So hope that everyone has a great weekend, and give your loved ones lots of hugs and kisses, and remember don't sweat the small stuff.

10 Comments:

At 12:07 AM, Blogger K said...

I am sorry to hear of all your struggles. It is disappointing when things dont got he way we plan. We have been there many times in the past few years. Find a blessing in everything that has gone wrong the past while and find if you have learned abything through that.Sorry- very Oprah-ish. I look back and am thankful for alot (not all) of the struggles weve been through as a family and a couple and individually.

Remember- this too shall pass. In a few weeks or a month or even days, everything could turn around. You may somewhere you never thought you'd go.

In the fine words of Aerosmith:
"Life's a journey, not a destination...."

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Angella said...

I agree with Kelly! And maybe the silver lining is that you get to be my neighbour sooner?

:)

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Heidi said...

You have been on my mind alot lateley and I am sorry we haven't been able to connect on the phone. One more busy week ahead and then work settles down for a week. You are in my thoughts and prayers always. God has a plan for you guys. Just trust that He has something perfect in store for you! love you and miss you. Maybe His plans for me are that you will move back. One can only hope!

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Jen F said...

I knew yesterday when I saw you that things were getting harder again. Katie and I tried to bring by some flowers today but you guys were out - they are here for you so come by tommorow for coffee.

I remember sitting around with you about 3 years ago when rob had been off work for 3 or 4 months and we were at our wits ends. You told me to hang in there - that the bigger the sacrifice the bigger the reward, and that if we made it through the rough patches when it all worked out we would be stronger and happier for it. You were right and it was worth the sacrifice. I have had a hard time lately cause our experiences up here have been so different and it hurts me to see you guys depressed.
It is sssooooo much a name game - doesnt matter if you're looking for a florist or a welder you want one you or someone knows. That old catch 22 - you cant get a job without a name and some experience but you cant get a name and experience without a job!
What about boilermaking? Could John go and fill in with that for a while so that you dont have to move yet? I of course have ulterior motives, but I dont think you should move just yet - give it some more time - it is just crappy timing with this turning out to be a slow year.
I love what Kelly said about blessings in past wrongs, kind of like thank God for unanswered prayers.
Hang in there, we love you.

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Hi Jolanda I have another quote for you by Helen Keller "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing" I only know you through Andy and blog land so it seems abit persumptious even to comment but I admire the adventure you are on. Nidge and I moved to Oregon seven days after Joff was born (Meg was nearly 15 months), he took a job in a church that promised us a wage and a house. When we got there the house was "rough" and the wage none exsistant, we used up all our savings in the first three months and were home in England by seven months. We had no money, no furniture, no jobs and two children...alot in the family felt we were stupid to have even tried but you know what I look at our lives now and realize that we have lost alot of that drive in being "safe". I know that my husband goes to work each day to do a job that does not fulfill who he is. We are ready for another daring adventure and I know what you're going through is hard but it only takes one break through for it all to come together....one job to gain a name as being "great". Robert Collier wrote " Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out" It'll happen. We are in transition here and reading how others are reaching out for their own "daring adventures' leaves us less likely to let our lives end in "nothing"

Besides that way if Nidge and I decide to chase a dream and move sometime in the next years we can tell his family to blame you lot for inspiring us!!!!! (Amie has your blog address so be warned!)

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Poetsch Family said...

Thanks so much for all your kinds words. We know things will work out, and we seem to be dealing with it pretty good. Alteast there is still lots of laughter in our house. The kids get us through these times cause they are so innocent and sweet. So thanks again.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Jolanda, I am sorry to hear that things are becoming more of an effort than an escape. That can be so hard.
I don't know who John has been working for, but Collin's Dad is in management with FIREMASTER. They have an office in Fort St. John. They primarily check the safety of oil sites etc, but he might know of someone that needs a welder or has some contacts, etc. His name is Ken Hague.. I am sure he's in the book. Try that.. tell him our connection, maybe it will help??? Good luck.

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Anita said...

Hang in there!! You will make the right choice...as long as your beautiful healthy family is together. Recently I have become aware of two young Summerland families that have been struck with tragic illness and it just makes me even more appreciative of what I have. We hope you come back here!!:)

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Vicki said...

You have been in our thoughts and prayers as well, and I know you know that. Wherever you go, whatever you do, you'll be fine as long as you have each other. And all of your friends are cheering for you (we're cheering especially loud...) We love you guys, and one day we'll all be in the same town again - whenever that may be:)

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I never knew you lived in Fort St. John. That's where Jordan was born and where a lot of his family continues to live. Neat!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home